Setting up custom domain names can be a cumbersome process. You need to register a domain with a domain name registrar, verify the domain and finally configure the DNS to map to your cloud products and services. The entire process requires dealing with multiple UIs, several steps and separate billing for domain registration.
Cloud Domains improves the custom domain experience for developers, increases security and supports stronger integrations around DNS and SSL. It offers easy domain renewal through Cloud Billing and permissions management through Cloud Identity & Access Management, reducing what was a multi-step process to configure a custom domain to just a few clicks.
Since Cloud Domains uses Google Domains, Google’s internet domain name registration service as the registrar, customers can access a wide range of registrar features through Google Domains management console.
If your Google Cloud application requires a custom domain, you can gain a lot by using Cloud Domains:
- Simplified user experience: Cloud Domains greatly simplifies the custom domain registration and management experience in Google Cloud. Cloud Domains enables customers to register domain names natively within Google Cloud via the Google Cloud Console UI, gcloud and API and offers automatic domain verification based on user accounts. Domain registration pricing is simple and transparent with registration and renewals for .coms starting at $12/year. Privacy protection is included for free.
- End-to-end domain management: Cloud Domains simplifies domain management by performing automatic domain verification. For customers looking to use Cloud DNS, the Cloud Domains UI provides easy access to Cloud DNS to set up public zones and DNS records.
- Enhanced security: Cloud Domains provides one-click DNSSEC configuration when used in conjunction with Cloud DNS. Cloud Domains supports increased security with Cloud IAM permissions providing enterprise-grade access management.
- Managed billing with Google Cloud: Cloud Domains uses Google Cloud Billing so that you have a hassle-free domain renewal experience and a single place to manage all Google Cloud resources.
- API and gcloud: Cloud Domains comes with an API for domain management and registration that you can use to programmatically manage your domain portfolio.
Registering and using a custom domain name should be simple. To learn more about how Cloud Domains can solve your domain management needs in Google Cloud, click here.