Making BigQuery migration simpleSyah Ismail
Migrations are not easy: they take time, energy, and effort to make them successful. BigQuery makes it easier with customizable tools and years of expertise to help out with your journey to the cloud.
Comprehensive solution for migration to BigQuery
Recently, Google announced the preview of BigQuery Migration Service, a set of free-to-use tools to help you with your end-to-end migration needs. This service speeds up Teradata to BigQuery migrations with tooling covering migration planning, data transfer, automated SQL/script conversion, and data verification. Support for additional data warehouses is coming soon.
Assessment: Plan and manage migration risks and costs
When it comes to migrations, the most important step is to understand the ecosystem, requirements, and business goals. This information is used to create a custom migration plan to help prepare and execute migrations. Identifying and addressing migration complexities ahead of time leads to reduced TCO and lower risk migrations.
An assessment provides an easy and automated way to collect statistics from your legacy warehouse and generates a state analysis report consisting of:
- List of database objects, data I/O patterns, and dependencies
- Automated query translation coverage and results
- Query-to-Object mapping (e.g., which tables, views, functions it uses)
- User-to-Table mapping (e.g., which users access which tables)
- Table correlations (e.g., tables that are often joined or sub queried)
- List of BI/ETL tools in use
The summary report helps you efficiently prioritize and have a clear understanding of all the components and the amount of work required to execute a migration. In addition, all the underlying assessment data is made available within a BigQuery dataset for complete customization and ad-hoc analysis for you.
SQL translation: Reduce manual effort, time, and errors
One of the hardest pieces of a data warehouse migration is modernizing legacy business logic, such as SQL queries, scripts, and stored procedures. This process normally involves substantial manual query rewrites and verifications, which is time-consuming and error-prone. Batch and interactive SQL translation help automate much of this process, thus speeding up your path to a successful migration. Batch and interactive SQL translation provide fast, semantically correct, and human-readable translations of legacy objects with no ongoing dependencies post-migration. It supports a broad range of Teradata artifacts including DML, DDL, and BTEQ. Translations can be run in batch mode or ad-hoc directly from the BigQuery SQL workspace. Early users of SQL translation saw ~95% successful translations on 10M+ queries, leaving only ~5% of queries for manual review with their migration partners.
Interactive SQL translation provides a split view within the BigQuery SQL editor. Users can type in SQL queries in non-BigQuery dialects and view the translated BigQuery SQL immediately. Interactive SQL translation provides users with a live, real-time SQL translation tool that allows users to self-serve translation of their queries in parallel with a centralized large-scale SQL migration effort. This not only reduces the time and effort for analysts to migrate their queries but also increases how quickly they learn to leverage the modern capabilities of BigQuery.
Data Validation: Verify correctness of data
Data validation is a crucial step in data warehouse migration projects. It compares structured and semi-structured data from the source and target to confirm data and logic have been moved correctly. The GCP Data Validation Tool (DVT) is an open-sourced CLI tool that leverages open-source frameworks. It offers customized multi-level validation functions to compare source and target tables on the table level, column level, and row-level. It is also flexible, meaning that new validation rules can easily be plugged in as you see fit. Furthermore, to facilitate automation, orchestration, and scheduling, it can also be integrated with Cloud Functions, Cloud Run, and Composer for recurring validation.
Customize BigQuery Migration Service to your needs
With BigQuery Migration Service you are fast-tracking, simplifying, and de-risking your migration so that you can modernize your data warehouse with BigQuery, a truly serverless and modern data warehouse, with confidence. The tools are freely available to help speed up your migration.